Sunday, February 27, 2011

A very bad night for us all.

Basically, Payton's cold has taken a turn for the worse. We went from runny noses and frequent coughs to high fevers and no sleeping or eating. I can honestly say that Saturday night was one of the worst nights we've gone through. As a newborn I would sometimes be up until 2 AM walking around and bouncing her trying to get her to sleep but, that has nothing on last night. She slept from 7-10 PM in her swing because that was the only way I could get her to fall asleep. This has never happened since she's been born. She has never been one to sleep in the swing. I happened to take one Nyquil because I too am getting sick. Big Mistake. 10 minutes after I fell asleep Layne woke me up because she had woken up and he couldn't get her back to sleep. I nursed her in hopes of her nursing herself back to sleep, but no, we were up for almost the rest of the night rocking and bouncing, playing and talking, consoling and comforting. Nothing was working. My poor, sweet, precious baby was in pain. With every little cough was a cry for pain. We tried everything known to man to get her to fall asleep to no avail. She finally ended up sleeping from 3-4 AM in her crib, and then 4-5 AM in bed with me and Layne.

We were all sleep deprived and grumpy. I think I got a total of an hours worth of sleep that night. This was especially hard on me because the night before I had basically pulled an all-nighter as well. I knew it was taking a toll on body; I developed a fever and started to feel very faint but I had to keep on going and take care of my very sick baby who needed my constant attention. One of the hardest things I've had to do. I don't know how I could have done it all by myself.

I'm not one to normally whisk off to the E.R. or doctor unless I think something is really wrong. In just 12 hours my daughter took a 180 and lost her appetite, was running a 102.4 fever that morning, and not sleeping at all. She was completely miserable. Unfortunately, she has a respiratory virus that we just have to wait out. We are now resorting to alternating Tylenol and Advil every 3 hours which luckily does help with the fever. I also figured out a new routine and dance of rocking and bouncing for 30 minutes until she is in a deep sleep before I put her in her crib. She just wants to fall asleep in mom's arms...and I don't blame her. I want her to know I will always be there for her, especially when she needs me the most. She is currently going on 2 hours for her 3rd nap today, poor baby!

 We are crossing our fingers for a healthy baby soon! Even through all this she still manages to smile and be as sweet as ever. We love her so much!

1 comment:

  1. Ya that was definitely the roughest night we've had to go through. I'm glad we had eachother to fall back on when it was getting tough. I love you and baby girl so much I'm glad we're all feeling better for the most part.